Update on COVID-19
COVID-19 PREPAREDNESS STATEMENT
UPDATED: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 | 12:00pm
In keeping with the temporary stay at home directive (in Executive Order 55) given by Governor Northam, the Virginia War Memorial’s exterior spaces will remain open during daylight hours to allow individuals to engage in outdoor activity, provided they comply with social distancing requirements. We ask that all visitors please practice these requirements as they enjoy the Memorial’s outdoor space for reflection on our nation’s ability to overcome difficult times. We will be updating this page as well as social media sites as we have more information.
Unfortunately, due to the spread of COVID-19, the Virginia War Memorial Foundation has made changes to the following events:
- POSTPONED: Girl Scout Day (3/14) – NEW DATE TBD
- POSTPONED: K9 Veterans Day (3/14) – NEW DATE TBD
- RESCHEDULED: Virginia Forum (3/27 – 3/27) will now take place Sept. 17 – Sept. 19.
- RESCHEDULED: TGA 5K (They Gave All) – NEW DATE: Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020
Currently, the Virginia War Memorial’s interior buildings are closed to the public until further notice.
UPDATE (3/26/2020): Until further notice, the Virginia War Memorial will be closed until April 30, 2020, and we will continue to reassess our plans based on evolving recommendations provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
UPDATE (3/16/2020): Like many of you, the Virginia War Memorial Foundation alongside the Department of Veterans Services has been monitoring the public health situation regarding the coronavirus and its impact on the Commonwealth. Ensuring the health and safety of visitors, volunteers, and staffers is our highest priority. To help reduce the spread of COVID-19 we are implementing the following procedures, effective immediately and until further notice:
1. The interior of the Memorial will be closed to visitors. This includes the Galanti Center, the Wright Pavilion, and the underground portion of the parking deck.
2. No school groups, group tours, programs, or public events will take place until further notice.
3. The exterior of the Memorial will remain open to visitors during regular hours, including the Shrine of Memory – 20th Century and the Shrine of Memory – Global War on Terrorism & Beyond.
4. Limited parking will be available in the 1st Street surface lot and in the ADA spots in front of the Memorial.
To keep up-to-date on further alerts and information from the War Memorial Foundation, CLICK HERE to receive our emails. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work together to protect the health and safety of our community.