VIRGINIA WAR MEMORIAL FOUNDATION
Director of Development Position Description
Purpose: The Virginia War Memorial Foundation seeks an experienced, highly capable Director of Development. The Director of Development is responsible for planning and directing the implementation of fundraising initiatives for the Foundation, including: an Annual Fund; a Capital Campaign; a Legacy Society for planned giving; and an Endowment Campaign. In addition, the Director of Development is responsible for managing the Foundation’s strategic communications and marketing efforts.
The Virginia War Memorial Foundation was established in 2000 to provide support for the Virginia War Memorial, whose mission is to Honor Veterans, Preserve History, Educate Youth and Inspire Patriotism in All. The Memorial honors veterans killed in action in recent wars through exhibits, educational projects, documentary films, and outreach programs. The Foundation provides funding for the Memorial’s capital projects, exhibits, programs and outreach efforts. The Director of Development is responsible for generating financial support for these initiatives.
Reports to: Executive Director as full-time position and works closely with the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
Compensation: Salary based on experience and capabilities, beginning at $90,000 annually; generous benefit package provided
- Develop and execute a strategic fundraising plan that meets current and future financial objectives of the Foundation;
- Direct the execution of Major Gifts and the Annual Fund Campaign, including annual appeals, grants, online giving and other components, to expand the donor base and raise sufficient financial support from major donors, individuals, businesses, corporations, foundations and other unrestricted revenue sources to support the Memorial’s continued growth;
- Build relationships with major donors and communities of potential donors with and on behalf of the Foundation’s Executive Director and Board, through visits, calls, and other networking activities;
- Provide leadership and guidance for the work of the Foundation’s Development Manager and the Development Assistant, and support the professional development of each;
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to meet the fundraising objectives of the Capital Campaign designed to fund the Memorial’s new 20,000 sq. ft. Education Wing;
- Build relationships with recurring donors to solicit planned gifts to the Foundation’s Legacy Society and gifts to the Endowment Fund;
- Direct the Development Manager and Development Assistant in utilizing the Foundation’s data management system for tracking and reporting metrics on all fundraising initiatives; develop and make regular reports to the Board on meeting Annual Fund, Capital Campaign, Legacy Society and Endowment Fund objectives;
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Foundation staff to develop and execute marketing and strategic communications efforts, including electronic media, to develop and produce materials, update the website, oversee social media, etc.
- Provide direction and support to the Development Manager and Development Assistant in researching and writing grants to support the Memorial’s education and outreach programs; ensure that reports are made to grantors on program outcomes and the use of grant funds; and
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to supervise the work of the Foundation’s Sales & Events Manager in planning and coordinating specific events designed to meet the Foundation’s fundraising objectives.
Experience Required: Minimum of 7 – 10 years of fundraising experience in nonprofit organizations, foundations or educational institutions, with demonstrated fundraising success; experience in marketing and strategic communications desirable; prior military service a plus.
Education: Undergraduate degree; CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) highly desirable.
- Passion for the missions of the War Memorial and the Foundation;
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills, with public speaking experience;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to influence others;
- Self-directed; results-oriented;
- Experienced developer of professional staff
- Demonstrated ability to work with Board leaders, corporations, foundations and major donors;
- Creative, entrepreneurial spirit; and
- Extensive network of contacts with major donors and institutions in Virginia is highly desirable
Interested candidates should send a Letter of Intent and Resume to: email@example.com